Monday, October 10, 2005

Adventures with Play committed to losing money in style

As I previously said, part of the fun of running this site is playing around with new things. The Google ads and the AwP store are two examples of this. I like watching the ad behavior, and designing hokey products that no one is likely to buy is a hoot. Of course, the money that these things bring in is miniscule; I've made a whopping $66.04 on the ads and the store revenue stands at a nice, round 0.

On top of all that, I'm not overly fond of some of things advertised on my site. Do I really want my readers to buy (in pig latin, so as to not further encourage the ad robots) "Orldway ofway Arcraftway Oldgay" or "owerpay evelinglay ervicessay"? No sir, I do not!

So how do I karmically reconcile the short money and the questionable ads to the sheer fun of monkeying around with this stuff? Easy: I'm going to give all the revenue away.

So from now on, every penny Adventures with Play makes will be donated to the American Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund. I'll also keep a periodically updated counter on the sidebar showing how much money has been "collected" so far. I'll kick in the first $100 so the amount isn't quite as puny as it would otherwise be.

So now, whenever someone buys those Angry Dwarf Boxers or clicks on an oldgay ad, we'll both feel vaguely better about it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Sarros said...

Wow, that's awesome. Not many people would be winning to do that. Good for you! Click those abestos links... but don't buy gold because that is morally wrong and would get you shot at a COS play convension.
________________________________
Sarros
Level 60 Warrior
Kil'Jaeden

11:15 PM, October 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait... you mean there is an AwP store? I know what my buddies are getting for christmas!

8:58 AM, October 11, 2005  
Anonymous Zorara said...

Tile, I'm gonna buy the wilderness survival t-shirt, keep it posted please!

#1 fan

1:15 PM, October 11, 2005  
Blogger Darkknight282 said...

I am tempted to purchase your items, and I may do just that. On the other hand if one of them featured some horde folk that would really make up my mind! Besides the mug that is.

6:30 AM, October 12, 2005  
Anonymous zorara said...

Darkknight, why dont you buy the wilderness survival t-shirt? It has Uther's favorite paladin on it, plain as day. Nothing says cool like a picture of the paladin that not only made an appearence on the worldofwarcraft.com front page, but also is shown wearing very nice boots on allakhazam.com (look for peacekeeper boots)

I get at least one tell a week from people who are like "hey i saw your picture online" or "can i have your autograph!"

7:13 AM, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Darkknight282 said...

I am so very tempted, but like I said....

For the Horde!

6:37 AM, October 13, 2005  
Anonymous WoW Rivera said...

WoW Rivera

Play WoW for FREE at the LARGEST WoW Private Server on the Planet Today! With more than a THOUSAND PLAYERS online. Visit us and see the truth!

http://www.wow-rivera.tk/

3:15 AM, November 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home